St. John of God Parish
1011 CHURCH AVENUE - MCKEES ROCKS, PA 15136
412-771-5646

Home

Safe Environment

Church History / Mission Statement

Church Calendar

Staff

Bulletins

Pastor's Corner -
Fr. Lou Vallone

Ministers Schedule

Today's Readings

Sunday School-Religious Education

Youth Ministry

Social Services

Cemeteries

Bingo

Pizza Kitchen

Church Photos

Driving Directions

Links

CEMETERY SCHEDULES
Please note that no burials can be made on Holy Days of Obligation and Sundays.

CEMETERY NEWS:
All administration of St. Mark & St. Mary Cemeteries is being handled by the Catholic Parish Cemeteries Association. All cemetery inquiries should be directed to the Allegheny Regional Office, 1000 Logue St., Pittsburgh, PA 15220 (located in the former Guardian Angels parish center).

Office: 412-256-9370
Fax: 412-256-9210
Email: cpca@cpca-pgh.org

REMOVE WINTER DECORATIONS
The Catholic Parish Cemeteries Association has asked that in order to permit spring grass cutting and grave preparation, all winter decorations must be removed from the graves by the end of February. All artifical flowers and greens must be removed from the front of the monument/marker for grass cutting and trimming. (Grass cutters have been injured from the wire stems getting caught in the machine blades.) Thank you for your cooperation.


ST. MARK CEMETERY
On June 1, 1919, St. Mark Parish was able to purchase 22 acres of property for their cemetery. The ground was mostly brush, wild trees, gulleys and little valleys. Parishioners got together and by horse-drawn wagons, and later by trucks, picks and shovels, cleared and hauled in fill to level off much of the sections. The original entrance was from Ewing Road and the gates still remain. Roadways of slag and stone were eventually made as the first plans were made.

As the cemetery developed down through the years, burials increased, more equipment had to be purchased and a building had to be built. There was an old barn on the property when they purchased it and that served as the original storage building.

Soon it was becoming evident that a Chapel was needed due to the fact that there were several injuries resulting from persons tripping over grave stones, the inaccessibility often times in winter and ankle deep mud in spring thaw. On June 1, 1982 construction of a Reception Chapel began. The Reception Chapel was blessed on May 30, 1983 with a mass celebrated by Bishop Vincent M. Leonard.

ST. MARY CEMETERY
St. Mary Cemetery began in 1857 on Chartiers Creek Road. Due to constant flooding, property was purchased further away, on Middletown Road, and the cemetery was moved. Blessing for the newly moved cemetery were held on November 12, 1893.

Please email us with any questions, comments, or general information at cpca@cpca-pgh.org or 412-256-9370.